Thursday, September 11, 2008

Softball Tryouts

My daughter tried out for a Worth softball team last night. She did great on everything - fielding, batting, first base and then it came time for her to pitch. I don't know how she does it. If someone put me in front of an entire team of people I don't know - put a catcher in front of me that I'd never seen before - 3 coaches standing behind the plate watching me - I would freeze. Jessi is the type of person that is great under pressure and absolutely nothing makes her nervous. She pitched to their batters and struck all of them out except for one. This is one of the best travel teams in our area and for her to strike them out - well, that's good. Sitting there watching her pitch, seeing the talent she has, so happy that she has found something that she is so passionate about, I teared up. Every time I watch her pitch I get all misty eyed. I don't know why. I see other mothers do it too. I think it's because I'm so proud of her and seeing her so happy, well, I tend to get emotional when it comes to my kids. We don't know if she made it yet or not. There were 3 other pitchers there trying out. I told her on the way home trying out for a travel team was a lot like going on a job interview.

The bad thing is we didn't get home until after 9:00 last night. Her "I don't have very much homework" turned into a lot of homework. Jessi is a straight A student and it's not like her to blow off homework like that. Needless to say we were up to well past 11:00 last night getting everything done. I'm taking her to school today so she can sleep in a little bit. I really do hate this. I am an avid believer that kids need a lot of sleep - at least 10 hours.

Well, time to get her up and get this day started. Oh how I wish it were Friday!!

1 comments:

Karen and Gerard said...

Sounds like your daughter is great! I understand your tearing up watching her pitch. I'm sure I'd be the same way under those conditions. I used to love to play ball but they didn't have teams for girls way back then like they do now. I think it's wonderful!